View Single Post
Old 05-08-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
Renegade
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Renegade
"How to" make a spinning paint stand

For a while now I have been looking at Tamiya Spray-Work Painting set. But always the price kept me away . So today I've have managed to get what I was looking for.
I was looking for something heavy base and with smooth spinning surface. Floppy drive!

I new one costs about $10, but you can always get a used or non-working one. Flip it around and look the bottom - spinning point. OK, now we need 'a stand'. I used empty spray can (like WD40, empty deodorant spray, plastic glass, ...). We got a few options how to fit 'the stand' to floppy's turning base. I used 2-sided tape on which I fitted early mentioned spray can. So we got 'the stand' fited.

I use spray can caps which I tape on the inside of the model - to the roof. When we got that taped down I (gently ) put this cap, with car on our stand. We can also add a little tape around, just to be sure that model don't falls off. Voila!

That way I have painted the Civic, few hours ago. And I can tell you, The Stand® is GREAT! The job is a lot easier now.

Some tips:
- be sure the can used for the stand is not bigger than 'hole' underneath the model
- if you got yourself a perfect stand I would be better that you glue it down to floppy drive

Enjoy and keep up the good work

Last edited by Renegade; 05-08-2004 at 05:57 PM.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote