View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Murray Kish
Getting Old...

Re: Taig or Sherline??

I had the same questions, and after a lot of research and looking around, here's the conclusion I came to (take it for what it's worth):

Taig - in my mind, it's advantage is it's much lower cost. A very good lathe and some say it is more sturdy than the Sherline (I have no factual opinion, as I haven't owned one). But not quite as 'refined' as the Sherline. Also the attachments/options to purchase are more limited (but many of the Sherline attachmetns could be used on the Taig as well). It is very functional and well built, but the overall look/feel seems a bit clunky and the parts/pieces feel more 'home built' (many believe that is better). It is very precise and does a good job, as far as I have read.

Sherline - much more expensive, but really first class quality. Everything matches, and fits together really well. Highly refined look and feel. Way more options/attachments. Very accurate and sturdy. A very 'mature' product that has stood the test of time for many many years, and by many many users that put them through much more rigourous use than I ever would.

I chose Sherline. But my pocket-book is still hurting....

Murray
Murray Kish is offline   Reply With Quote