View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
hockeyshot20k
AF Newbie

Post Power inverter,12V power socket, What is going on?

I'll try and keep this simple and sweet. I got a 95 Saturn SL2. The cigarette lighter stopped working after some time. Dont know why. So I installed a 12v power socket directly to my battery using the exact same gauge wire that was used to hook up the power inverter to the battery with the jumper cable that came with the inverter so I know I have the correct gauge wire. I installed a 7amp inline fuse towards the end of the positive wire that is hooked up to the battery, right before I connected the 12v sockets positive wire. The reason I put an inline fuse was to protect my inverter. The inverter is used to charge my laptop while im driving to different states. My laptop has GPS software and transmitter/receiver to tell me where I need to go. I found it to be a whole lot more accurate then google maps, and a lot easier to see on my laptop then phone and it was cheaper at the time to go this route then it was to buy a portable GPS. Plus I have my itunes playlist for my music. Moving on now, once I got the inverter up and running, I used it to charge my cell phone and see if any issues may arise. Everything worked like a charm. Now I am heading on 450mile trip. Car was running, power inverter was plugged into the 12v socket and I had my laptop hooked up to the inverter. I turned on the inverter and next thing I know, the 7amp inline fuse blew. So I replaced it with another 7amp fuse. Same thing. So I tried a 10amp fuse and I think I blew the fuse inline fuse on the inverter. Cant remember if it was the fuse on the inverter or the inline fuse by the socket. Its been about a month now since I had this incident and I changed fuses so many times, I cant keep it straight with what I did or what order I did things in when it came to replacing the fuses. Im not sure if my laptop is pulling to much power because of its 17" screen and dual hard drive and a higher end graphics card at the time the computer was made. Not sure if that helps any. As of right now, Ive left the inverter alone due to time constraints. Here is a list of make/model numbers for my laptop, the charger for my laptop and the inverter. When it comes to watts, amps, volts etc, I have no idea which numbers are important or which numbers I should be looking at; inverter, laptop or charger for the laptop. I also have a the links to the specs of each item.

POWER INVERTER: 410W made by Schumacher model # XL41DU
http://www.batterychargers.com/Produ...ProductName=94 026993

LAPTOP: Gateway P172XFX:
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/gate...4507-3121_7-32 933935.html

LAPTOP CHARGER: Gateway P-172X
http://www.level8technology.com/gate...adapter-gatewa y-p-172x-laptop-ac-adapter-8310

Thanks everyone. I tried to be specific as possible and short as I could to help figure out what the problem may be. Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diagram.jpg (13.7 KB, 5 views)
hockeyshot20k is offline   Reply With Quote