View Single Post
Old 08-29-2003, 09:05 PM   #4
J SPEC SilEighty
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to J SPEC SilEighty
Re: turbo difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyo
difference in these two exhausts, I mean is the second one worth an extra $300 or does it not really matter?
you mean difference in those 2 turbo's? IMO, HKS turbo's are way overpriced. you can use a garrett turbo which is the same thing, but hundred's or even thousands less. look at this garrett GT30 and then look at the HKS 3037. compare the specs of the 2 turbo's. they look almost identical don't they? IMO, save yourself $1500 and get the garrett.

Quote:
would either be good for a KA24DE?
yep, they would both be pretty good for the KA. they aren't too small and they aren't so big that you will be waiting til redline to get power. they would both be good, but like i said before... get the garrett

Quote:
is internal wastegate better than external?
nope. internal wastegates can dump waste gases behind the turbine and cause high turbulence which will end up reducing the overall flow...not a good thing

Quote:
is a T3 flange a good size if I'm looking for 225-250hp
yeah. a t3 turbine wheel/housing will be perfect for your power range. no need to use a t4 wheel for the power levels you want.

Quote:
do you still need a BOV if you have an internal wastegate?
yeah, like turbo2nr said... they are 2 different things. he's right about the BOV's function and pretty close to the wastegates function. The wastegate is what limits the boost to your desired level. The pressure signal is sent from the wastegate to the boost controller. Say that the wastegate is set at 14 psi.... The wastegate will stay closed and let the exhaust gases spin the turbine up to 14 psi to create the desired boost. When the wastegate senses 14 psi, it will open which causes any more exhaust gases that come through the turbine to be let out into the atmosphere to keep the turbine from spinning any faster and creating more boost than the 14 psi.

have fun and good luck on your project