View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 06:06 AM   #8
KX2000GTP
AF Regular

Re: 2001 GTP needing some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this Bnaylor. How do I know if a scanner is "ABS capable"? If this were the problem, would it be able to cause a flashing check engine light?
Most scanners are not ABS capable. You have to get a tech2 or genie or some other high end diagnostic scanner to read ABS Codes. and to clarify (I think this is what bob meant), it's not the ABS directly that causing the SES, it's the ABS causing a simulated misfire, causing the SES (check engine light). (IRON, this is for you to) Misfires are tricky , make sure you look at the history codes and see if there are MF present.
If you use a Genie (I think that is the name) then you can drive and scan realtime. while you make it sputter, the genie will show you what cylinder, if any, is misfiring. realtime scanning is the key...sometimes dtc history or present won't help, you need to see what's going on while the problem occurs.

Did you do the ohm test on your wheel speed sensors to see if they were good? I know there is a walkthrough somewhere on here or clubgp that can help, maybe someone has a link...

On a side note, my ABS has been dead for about a year now due my tranny replacement guys forgetting the harness bolt on the bell housing. it caused the pcm wire to hang (I have FWI) and rub against my condenser, which eventually shorted out the EBTCM (main ABS computer).

Quote:
As for the catalytic converter thing..mine is a 2000, so it shouldn't be that...should it?
It's still possible...you never know with cats, they are biatches. you can get a high flow for <$100 and get it replaced quick and cheap.

Hope this helps some. Good Luck
KX2000GTP is offline   Reply With Quote