View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: 2001 Oldsmobile silhouette rear tire wear.

This sort of thing definitely a symptom of poor weight distribution, which a lot of minivans have anyway. Now that some weight has been removed that will just make it worse.
Think about it this way: over the front wheels is the engine, transmission, differential, driveshafts, etc. Since your van is front wheel drive, basically everything that makes it go is right there... that's a lot of weight. Over the rear wheels, what is there? A third row of seats, which make very little difference if no one is sitting in them, a spare tire, and if equipped a tow bar/ trailer hitch. It sounds to me like what you need is more weight over those rear wheels if you want your van to be more stable. Get a spare tire... hell get 2! mounted on some nice heavy rims and carry them in the back, that's a start anyway. Maybe get a trailer hitch, even if you're not towing a trailer, just for a little more weight.
I know people who have pickup trucks and suffer a similar issue, so they load the bed with cinder blocks, bags of sand or something heavy when the roads get slick. They say it makes a big difference. Letting just a little air out of the rear tires might help too. They'll probably wear out just as fast, but at least they'll grip better.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote