View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #135
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Re: Muscle Cars - Chevy vs Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivejaguar View Post
Chevy Chevy Chevy, Fords are over engineered, but good cars so nothing against them, but I am a Chevy fan. You know I have heard some of there parts and engineering is similar to Jaguars and that is exciting Auto Repair Mesa, AZ Showed how you can put a Chevy motor in a jag. Muscle cars are a great subject to discuss, but I have a Beautiful Jaguar does that count. I was thinking about souping it up is it worth it.
My wife had '84 and '86 Series III XJ6 sedans for a total of 12 years. I got them from a talented acquaintance whose hobby was rebuilding almost-new salvaged luxury cars. Since they were post-'83, when newly-privatized Jaguar fired Lucas and went to Bosch electricals, they alway started, were quite reliable and sweet to drive. Weakest area was the Borg-Warner automatic trans which originally came in 1954 Hudsons, as I recall. New cars would go maybe 40,000 miles (just past warranty), rebuilts less than 20,000. Best strategy was to look for the lowest-mileage Jag in the junkyard and snag the trans for $400 vs. a $1500 and up rebuild, ask me how I know.

If you're interested in a transplant, the gold standard in the '80s and '90s was John's Cars in Dallas, Texas. He had swap kits for small and big-block Chevys into XJ6s. so complete they had the connectors and linkage to make the stock Jag gear selector, tach, electrical harness etc. mate with the Chevy stuff; plug in, no cobbling.

He also had smaller-scale improvements like "Quarterbreed", a Turbohydro trans swap to go behind the Jag six (see above), poly bushing kits to give the steering rack new-car feel forever, etc. Plus new Jag trim parts like defrost vents, $40 at the dealer, $20 from John.
Don't know if he's still in business what with tightening smog inspection rules, but if he is I'd recommend him to any 1960-1990 Jag owner.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote