View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1/8 Porsche 935/78 'Moby Dick'

Good to have you all along for the ride, guys!

It's funny, but once I'd finished the 908 I had three or four weeks when I didn't do any modelling, other than working on the drawings for the 935 - it felt odd! Okay, it gave me more time for other things - Forza4, for example - but it's nice to get back into the routine.

Regarding the lego...ummm, it's all mine! It's been a part of my life since I was at least four years old - long before I started playing with model kits and glue. You might have seen the Merc Unimog kit they released last year? Well, guess what was under the Christmas tree for me...

Anyway, I've found it incredibly useful for building the tube-frames - you'll notice that I use a mixture of regular bricks and the old-style Technic bricks (with the holes) - these seem to be tighter than the regular bricks, so with a bit of planning you can create an accurate and rigid frame. As I don't have a proper frame drawing to work with there is a certain amount of freedom to 'adjust' tube positions to better fit the jigging - but it has surprised me how little I've had to do this so far. It's no problem to pack out the frame with small bits of sytrene strip, etc, to get the tubes exactly where I want them.

Two rear screens: oh yes - the Group 5 regulations stated that the tail had to be an addition to the existing bodywork, not a replacement. This is why they based the 78 car on the 911SC, not the Turbo - the normal whale-tail spolier would have caused more problems! So, as well as the outer bodywork I'll have to fit a regular bootlid and rear screen underneath, plus what's left of the normal 911 bumpers, etc. As Paul Frere said in one of his books, the Group 5 regulations allowed you to create a car as wild-looking and non-standard as the Moby Dick, but if you took a perfectly regular 911 and removed the guttering from across the roof, it would be illegal!

Right, I'm off now to add some more tubes to the floor pan!

See you soon,

SB
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote