View Single Post
Old 01-28-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
kenny-1907
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to kenny-1907
Re: Re: Trying to understand TUNING CHIPs for new trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowprocess
First off, yes an aftermarket tune will benefit your truck. Since I assume you're refering to a hand held tuner, I'll post up about them. A custom tune will do so much more, but we'll leave that for another post.

1. It will adjust air/fuel ratio a tad and give you a little more get up and go.
2. It will firm up the shift points by slightly increasing transmission line pressure. This will help your tranny. Instead of it sliding into gears, it will give it a more firm lock into each gear, thus reducing wear on clutches,etc.
3. I don't know if the VHO has a governor, but if it does, the tune will remove it or raise it up for Z rated tires.
4. You can increase your shift points. GM goes pretty conservative on the air/fuel mix, as well as the shift points. These trucks pull pretty good past the stock shift points, so you can get a little more out of your engine.
5. Some tuners remove some of the torque management. As you know, GM, in their tunes, puts in a safety feature known as torque management. This simply put, is a feature that cuts timing on these engines when the computer detects more torque than what is preset in the pcm during shifts. It really isn't noticeable on stock engines, but as mods are added, torque managment gets worse. It literally feels like the truck falls flat on its face during and right after a shift, then picks back up. The computer is cutting the timing, and therefore cutting the torque being produced. Some handhelds take out a certain percentage of torque management, and custom tunes can take out up to 100%. It's just a way for GM to better protect their crappy 4l60e-4l80e trannies.

I don't think you'll see any downsides to a handheld programmer, unless you count romping down on your truck more due to the addition of horsepower a "bad thing".

#5 That description right there fits my truck exactally. It is the most noticeable when in tow/haul mode when it shifts from 1st to 2nd under 3/4 to full throttle. It was not that noticable untill after i got the exhaust done, then when i installed the K&N fipk it seemed to be worse and i just thought it was like that beacuse of the oversized tires and that is why i drive around in tow/haul mode. Driving in tow/haul mode changes the way the trans shifts, to me it acts the same way as a shift kit did on my 88. So i take it the only way to get rid of the torque management is to get a programmer or a nelson tune ?

6" Pro Comp lift
305/55/20 BFG A/T KO'S
K&N FIPK GENII
Flo Pro V force muffler & 4" slash cut stainless tips
Color matched front and rear Bowties
3" polished stainless bull bar and Nerf bars
kenny-1907 is offline   Reply With Quote