View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
jimmy_dean
AF Newbie

Re: Water leaking in 2002 Galant LS

Hello,
I have received several requests for the photos, so here’s a link, plus step by step instructions:

Please note: All information is provided "as is", and I accept no responsibility for any problems that may occurr if you attempt this proceedure. I make no claim as to the potential success of this proceedure (except that it worked for me ).

Please be very careful when working around any mechanical parts. Make sure the engine is off, and has had time to cool down, so as not to burn yourself. Plastic parts may be brittle, and could break. Use care when working with any parts. Be careful not to strip the threads when removing/re-attaching the plenum cover.

Ok, now that the disclaimers are out of the way , here are the photos, and the steps I used:

Photos:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jimmy_...HSaGFBOYDwiqBw
1. Pull the carpet back on the left side (driver's side in North America), and you will see the drain tube (see DrainTube1.JPG).

2. Note the location of the drain tube where it intersects the firewall, next to the steering column.

3. Open the hood, and locate the exit of the drain tube in the engine compartment, next to the steering column. It is a small hole in the firewall, about the size of a quarter (maybe a little bigger), behind the lower engine mount. Reach down with your hand, and you should be able to feel the hard plastic tube in the hole. My car had a soft, spongy material around the tube, inside the hole.

4. Use the ShopVac and garden hose combination to suck the water out through this drain hole in the engine compartment. If you cut the end of the garden hose at a slight angle it may make it easier to "seal" the garden hose around the drain hole, to get a good suction. There was a lot of crud inside that was plugging the hole, and quite a bit of water, so expect the vaccuum hose to dance around a bit as it sucks it all out .

5. Optional, but highly recommended - Remove the plenum cover (see PlenumCover2.jpg) under the glove box on the passenger side. The cover sits between the fan on the right, and the plenum box on the left. There are 4 Philips head screws (the "+" type head), one 8 mm nut and one 8 mm bolt (locations are circled in the photo). The two screws towards the front of the car, closest to the firewall, are difficult to locate, especially the one on the left. Use a stubby Philips for that one. You may be able to get away with taking out the two rear screws, closest to the passenger seat, and "twisting" the cover down. Be careful not to break it!

6. Have a friend pour water slowly into the plenum (see PlenumCover.jpg) in the spot circled in yellow in the photo. This will help to flush out any additional debris that has accumulated in the plenum.

7. To prevent the problem from coming back, install a cabin filter (available at the Dealer - $58.00 in Canada, including the reusable bracket). Cut out the plastic behind the glove box, and attach the filter with 2 screws. I'll be doing this on the weekend, and will take photos of the process. I'll post them once I've completed the job. See the CabinFilter.jpg photo for the location of the filter. You'll need to take out the glove box to reach this.

Hope this helps,

Jimmy
jimmy_dean is offline   Reply With Quote