View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 03:30 AM   #13
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Re: Pulsating brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie
Regardless of how they are calculated, every set of discs Iv work with has them stamped into usualy the outside edge.
They are there because discs warp, and when you machine a warped disc you reduce its thickness.
you won't get any disagreement from me. But then again, I've seen more brake rotors warped that were well within their tolerance for minimum thickness than not. That by itself isn't a factor IMO. I think its heat that is what causes rotors to warp, and although that is effected by how thick the rotor is, that isn't the bigger factor. The bigger factor is WHY is the high heat being created in the first place....higher heat than the system was ever designed to deal with.

The linked article suggests that its NOT a heat issue, its a break in proceedure issue. This suggests that if you don't have rotor warping soon after installing pads, that there's something amiss, but this also assumes that you can't have rotor "warping" due to caliper issues or improper brake use....which is asinine IMO

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote