View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
magnumtoy
AF Newbie

Re: electronic throttle system (ETS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswan
I have a 1999 V70 wagon and my ETS light just went on. The car is acting sluggish. The cost is very expensive to replace. Approx $ 900.

The guy at the local gas station said try and clean it. Has any one had this problem? Does it work? And last where is this throttle so it cane be cleaned?

Thanks

We had a similar problem (also had intermittent starting problems); the fault code was traced to the Electronic Throttle Body (i think that's what it was called) and yes, it cost about $900 to replace. This year Volvo V70 (and a few other models/years) have had problems with the throttle controls. Something about the resistor inside wearing down.

Some private group is on a crusade trying to get Volvo to recall it; but Volvo is ducking out of it. You might find some where (it was on this forum but I think it was moved) where they talk about it; I'm not sure what the status is. There was a lot of information/postings on it.

You can also go to the NTSB website and make a formal complaint - they know of the problem and the more claims they get the more data they have to go to Volvo to try a recall.

Good luck.