View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #20
91STT
3SNJ Pres

Re: Need help... Car starts for 10 seconds then dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by $STEALTH$ View Post
I know where both of those are. Have not checked them yet. I know the strainer is good. Its a new fuel pump in there. Never checked the fuel filter. But what would that have to do with no power in my fuel pump line on the sending unit? Should have voltage. I tested it. No power. So therefor thats why i did the hot wire for the fuel pump. The car has the check engine light on. Im having it towed to a shop this week one of these days after work and getting it looked at. Doing a diagnosis test
My response was to geechiedan.

You do not get power to the black/blue wire unless you are cranking the engine or when it running. You will not get power with the key on while the engine is off.
Did you check the black/yellow and white/red wires at the MFI relay as I suggested in a previous post?
There is a fuel pump check plug located near the firewall behind the battery. The wire is black/blue and is the same gauge as the stock fuel pump wire.
Try powering up this wire while you have someone crank the engine, if it starts and remains running like normal while this wire is powered, you can more or less disregard the pump, the filters or the injectors as the problem but it is not definitive.
If it does not remain running, you have to check the components mentioned previously. There are no shortcuts.
There are members of 3SI in Wisconsin, try reaching out to them, there may be someone local to you that may be able to help you troubleshoot.