View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Re: Steering Rack Re and Re (1997 LeSabre)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enslow View Post
What I understand about putting in new seals is that it doesn't address wear issues. I don't know enough about racks to know if there is excessive wear, and knowing myself, my own work may leak.

The 1st reason I did the rack was because it was leaking. The reason I did it this year was because I was having to replace ball joints that a previous shop had botched up, badly too. I knew I'd need an alignment, so I went ahead and did the rack.
Thanks man!

Was able to take the car out-of-state for a nice drive yesterday, around the D.C. Beltway and up into Maryland on I-95. After the wheel balancing and rotation, I'm getting a complex vibration above 65 or 70 (definitely at 75) that seems like it's coming from the front end at times (in the steering wheel) and other times the rear (floor vibration.) It seems to be ok when driving straight and level but any camber, driving around a turn at speed or steering force (to hold the turn) sets off the vibration. Inflation is 32 psi all-around and there are known warped rotors (rear worse.)

What does that sound like to you? The tire store provided data on the "out of balance" condition, and I'll check to see if the worst wheel is on front.. driver side.

Interestingly.. the dealer called this morning offering a 10% discount on a steering rack which is ~1.5k job. How much influence can a rack with play have on vibration? There was no vibration before wheel balancing.. only rotor vibration when braking.

-Ed
edwinn is offline   Reply With Quote