Thread: Exhaust
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2004, 02:01 AM   #10
Im2Fast4U
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
you won't gain much hp, if ANY, from a new exhaust.
uh....... ok?

Quote:
The NA, however, NEEDS backpressure, and with a free-er flowing exhaust, you will get some sound, but lose low-end torque.
AARRRGGHHHH!! Why....!? Igovert, do you see what I was saying in that other exhaust thread? A cat-back exhaust is in NO way going to do away with the needed backpressure and kill hp (assuming you go with piping smaller than about 4") And simply putting a testpipe on and nothing else would be pointless. In fact, that would probably hurt hp because exhaust gases would be flowing faster and more compact through the smaller piping then hit the wider, open tp and slow down and then they would have to go back into the smaller piping of the cat-back, effectively having a bottle-neck effect.

You're not going to lose any real noticeable amount of low-end torque with a cat-back. Don't but a complete system from a company, you can pick up a good muffler and some tips and have a shop run pipes for you and still have great sound, performance and save about $600. I highly reccomend Dynomax. If you free up your whole exhaust, it's true you may lose a little low end torque but you gain it back on the top end. I have 2.5" from cat back to a Dynomax muffler and tips and still have every bit of my low end. (Note: I'm not saying you don't need any backpressure, I'm simply saying it's stupid to think that any minor exhaust modification is going to lose all bp and kill performance. Stay smaller than 3" and you'll be fine all teh way back)

for a clip of a Dynomax on a 3S, check out this thread. It's old and I don't think he has the same setup anymore but it gives you an idea.
http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=160276

R.I.P. DAD NOVEMBER 3, 1952-NOVEMBER 25, 2002
I LOVE YOU
Im2Fast4U is offline   Reply With Quote