View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 02:53 PM   #16
mortgagewiz
AF Newbie

what?

Geeze, I, as do most people in the world, know the difference between a camshaft and a crankshaft! My point is that some people, depending on who you talk to, will call the sensor a CAMSHAFT SENSOR, and some people will call the sensor a CRANKSHAFT SENSOR. My point isn't that a camshaft and a crankshaft are the same thing. My point is that when referring to a the SENSOR, you must know the one I'm talking about, the SENSOR is the same thing. I understand that there is a correct term for the sensor, and Saturn probably named it, it's just that the automotive world is imperfect.

Listen, in the competition of knowledge, YOU WIN, HANDS DOWN! I was only trying to add what little I know about a sensor that rarely fails.

BTW, thanks for your input on the sensor. I didn't know they could fit a transistor in that thing.

Also, I still stand by my earlier response. The sensor has an indention on the end of it that fills up with grime that keeps the metal part inside the sensor from doing its job. Cleaning that part out then reinstalling it is a way of fixing the problem, if it is the sensor. Testing the sensor is always the best way of determining the sensor's functionality, but some home mechanics, me included, don't keep sensor testing equipment at home and won't spend the 50-350 bucks to get the equipment when you can just as easily test the car itself.

Car runs fine=problem fixed
Car still runs bad=try something else

And, once again, those wires can become frayed.

I don't know why I'm even spending so much time about this stupid sensor anyway. That sensor hardly ever goes out. I believe when the code trips on the code reader, it is almost always something else. Saturnman had a good response to the post as the likely real problem.

Lastly, I will never trust any ignition modules on GM cars. 2 ignition modules of the 4 GM cars I have owned have gone bad. Actually, one went bad on the same car twice and one went bad on another car. It just might be that I keep my GM cars too long. For example, my Buick, which had the sensor go out twice, I had well over 150k miles. My Saturn, which I suspect is the module thanks to Saturnman, is at 145k miles.
mortgagewiz is offline   Reply With Quote