View Single Post
Old 02-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #22
poetrydiva
AF Newbie

Arrow Re: Oil Pressure Gauge drops to "0"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_in_Akron
Poetrydiva,
If your car has an automatic transmission, RPM while idling should = 700 RPM.
If you car has a manual transmission the RPM while idling should be 750 RPM.
Above RPMs are acheived once engine is fully warmed up.
Let me try this again, I timed out before I got the message posted. Yes, I do have an automatic. To be honest, I don't know a freakin' thing about driving a stick.

Quote:
Also, your oil pressure should be 12 psi at 1200 RPMs minimum, hopefully more. If you let your car sit overnight, go out in the morning, and start it. Your car will be (or at least it should be) idling much faster than if, it was already fully warmed up (engine running for more than 15 minutes). This high idle is about 1200 RPMs and is normal till the engine warms up, then the RPMs should fall gradually to 700 or 750 RPM, known as low idle. What does the oil pressure gauge read in the morning after you start your car while in high idle?
When I start the car in the morning, it does idle high and the gauge registers somewhere between 30 and 40 (whatever the middle mark is). After it warms up, the idle does drop and it registers somewhere between 15 and 20. Today, when I drove it, it didn't once drop below that 15-20 range.

Quote:
I know you said that you just had the oil changed by your grandfather, how many miles ago was this? Do you know, or can you ask him what type of oil he used? You should be using an API grade of SG or SG/CD with a 10w-30 viscosity (good for outside tempertures down to -15 degrees below zero) Did he replace the oil filter? Other than having to shell out another $20 for an oil change and your time to do it, it would eliminate the oil from being one of the possibly causes. Oil breaks down (gets thinner) and can cause low pressure problems.
The oil was changed ~40 miles ago. I literally meant it had just been changed. I bought the oil and filter myself. I've been using Castrol GTX 10W30 High Mileage for over 2 years. It runs better with this than any other brand. I bought 5 qts. I also bought the appropriate sized SuperTech filter. We've used this brand in my family for a long time.

Yes, I know he put on the filter. I watched him do it.

Quote:
I am not trying to be picky here, I know that you are on a limited budget. Considering all of the money, time and sweat that you have already invested in repairs for this car, I would have to believe that you really want to keep your car, especially running. A shop will charge you around $50 for this oil pressure test in my area. Someone else mentioned having your grandfather test this for you, then it wouldn't cost you anything but a hug and a smile. There is yet another option for you that is very good and cheap. Your local High School just might have a Vocational Auto Mechanics Program for the High School students wanting to become mechanics. Give them a call and find out, if they don't have this program, ask the next town. You may be placed onto a very long waiting list but, it is dirt cheap and you'll be helping those kids to learn a trade. You'll get your car fixed, and it will be repaired correctly. It might take longer than you like, but it will get repaired for the cost of parts and a very small fee. Give them a try.
Sad thing is, there's no high school auto program anywhere around. Hasn't been for a while. I really don't think there's a problem, because it didn't do it today.

Quote:
Don't run thicker oils. Your engine was not designed for that. It will eventually damage your engine, especially in these winter months. Thicker oils cannot get between the piston rings and the cylinder. Doing this will cause much wear in these areas. Wear in this area will cause, low or no compression. Bottom line-you'll be yanking the engine and replacing everything again. Please, check my information with any GM service department.
That's kind of what I was thinking.

Better scoot. Got to get home.

Going to play Romance of the Three Kingdoms II with hubby. :-)

Ahhhh. How I love the weekend.
poetrydiva is offline   Reply With Quote