View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 02:08 AM   #72
manicmechanix
AF Enthusiast

Re: Replacing intake gasket...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyount View Post
I don't know if you guys have seen this tool or not, but I was a GM tech and it is the difference between making awesome flat rate on intake gaskets, or not, it makes tourqing those pain in the butt corner bolts a breeze. Far as I know it is only from snap on, mine is chrome and 12 point, but same idea. It is 3/8 drive, but the extension and socket are 1/4 drive physical size. It has a ball swivel, so unrestricted movement to a whole lot of degrees.

I don't know how to post the pic, but cut and paste this link to see snap ons picture of a power one (black finish), but same principal as mine.
I don't think I've seen that tool before on here. Those corner bolts are a pain getting to even with a 3/8" drive crow's foot, especially on the later models that seems to have bigger manifold runners. I thought what was needed was a 1/4"drive to make room. Some bolt kits give you a 13mm head for the end bolts and give you a little more room to swing the crow's foot, but this seems like a better solution. I wonder if they have it in 13mm too? Maybe it'd help with the pesky power steering bolts?

Quote:
There is also a tool to compress the rocker arms, it is a lever that fits the arms. If the valve covers aren't leaking, don't take em off, slip this tool in and take the p rods off without taking the valve cover off.
Turns a 5.5 hour intake gasket job into 3 hours or less if you have air tools too

heres the first tool
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item_...9400/59356.JPG

heres the second, its the short one, they make one about 10 inches longer, but I see no need for it, they are easy to compress with it, and it has a spot for a ratchet for extra leverage too.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
A similar tool like that I think has been mentioned here, but some doubted if it work good, and on later models, if valve cover gasket would reseal good, etc. I can see that this tool would be a huge time saver though. Excellent tips you have here!
manicmechanix is offline   Reply With Quote