View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #12
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

Re: Advice for a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyliu838
Forget about it. If you're gonna insult someone and not stand up to it, fine, whatever. If you really didn't mean to be insulting, I'm sincerely sorry. I might simply be too easily offended.

What exactly OEM reliability? I know what OEM stands for from external contexts, but I'm not sure what it means here. Also, what exactly is an "interior/exterior diet"? Yeah, I know, I suck with this stuff. But everyone starts somewhere, haha. So, with the exception of the "diet" and the intake and exhaust, the parts are good for mileage because it dectracts from the overall weight? Could I run rimless? I see cars all the time with no rims (At least, seemingly no rims), so could I just take them off and sell them? So, a bolt on turbo will not help with mileage on a KA?

Thanks.
i didnt mean to insult you, since i pretty much got the wrong picture of where you were coming from. anyways. OEM reliability, which you will come to find out, means that nissan manufactures their cars to last. like every company. very very few aftermarket companies, especially in the performance department, can offer the quality and durability that nissan can. almost every modification you do to your car will make it more janky. therefore if you want reliability, stick with what a multimillion dollar company has tested and proven to work. not what a company has made 15 per year of and only tested it on one or two project cars.

about the gas mileage, aerodynamics, weight, and engine efficiency are what determines a cars gas mileage. weight you can do yourself easily, as its pretty self explanatory, you just have to decide if its worth it to roll without carpet and sound proofing to save 15 pounds. its about comprimise. but adding lighter brakes, wheels, tires, and suspension will help handling, acceleration, braking, and gas mileage. all those things fall under the category of unsprung weight. i.e. weight that isnt supported by springs. this has the greatest effect on the dynamic performance of a car in every area. and steel wheels are not lighter than most quality aftermarket rims. if you want to keep quality and durability, stick with rims that are made by companies who make rims for car manufacturers. for example, enkei, OZ, RAYS/volk, ect. these do tend to cost more but the quality is proven.

as far as what performance/engine mods help mileage, basically anything that adds a serious amount of power will take away from gas mileage. because of the nature of an internal combustion engine, power = compressed air and fuel. an intake and exhaust will help your engine run more efficiently, usually with the only comprimise being noise. they dont make the engine use more air, just they allow the engine to use all the air it needs with less restriction working against it. a turbo on the other hand, forces a great deal more air into the motor, and in order for the extra air to do something, you have to add extra fuel. which, as you can guess, the more fuel you need to run the car, the worse gas mileage.

EDIT:
theres not much you can do in the aerodynamics department, for the same reason as other aftermarket parts. body kits, spoilers, ect. 99 out of 100 companies do not have any basis to say that their parts improve the cars aero profile. car manufacturers on the other hand, usually have access to a wind tunnel and can test their aero parts and actually make something that works. big spoilers are not what im talking about, since they provide downforce. the other side of it is downforce increases drag. which lowers gas mileage. theres not much you can do about it. you might be able to find a company or two that sells an aero kit that reduces drag, but you really have to make sure. most companies that do make aero parts, even OEs like nissan, do it to compensate for a general lack of downforce that stock cars have. this adds more drag. usually. you can add a splitter or some vortex generators and achieve some improvement in drag reduction, but usually its minimal.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote