View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
moliva1568
AF Regular

back again, no start

It's been awhile but I'm back with some issues on my Catalina. Short background...
Car stalled while on highway last fall. Good samaritans stopped to help and we changed, points and coil. The wire had melted at it's connection to points so they stripped the wire and twisted it around metal piece and I was back running again.

I drove it a few times like that not too far with no issues. Fast forward to now I purchased a new lead wire and put it in. I didn't want to mess with the distributor too much so I cut the end that connects to the coil so I could feed it through the rubber piece in the distributor. I then soldered the two pieces of wire together and connected to coil.

Now the car won't start. I'm not sure if the soldering is having any effect or where I'm going wrong. I don't think I disturbed the distributors but I'm not sure. I took the points off and then put them back and screwed in tight. Turned key and car kinda started but ran like shit and shut off. When I turn the key now it sounds like it wants to start but won't go all the way over.

Any ideas or suggestions? It was running before I attempted to change the wire.

Vehicle
74 Pontiac Catalina
7.5L 455
moliva1568 is offline   Reply With Quote