View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 11:38 PM   #1
White Lightening
AF Regular

Thumbs up GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Greetings,

Does anybody else wonder how come various sized engines for newer Chevy 1500 series trucks get about the same mileages?

You'd think a 6 cylinder would be much better.

You'd think a small V8 would get better than a larger V8.

You'd think a Colorado should be much better - but it isn't.

Often Rear Wheel Drive isn't much different than 4 x 4.

Auto versus 5 speed?

So maybe there are things to be done to improve the mileage levels without hurting performance.

Now I've heard many say - "I get whatever I get - thats just life, I'm not going to count nickels". Well sure, thats true - but at the same time - with $2.00 a gallon gas - $45.00 at the gas station comes too often for most of us. So what is wrong with trying to make it a little longer between fillups or a little cheaper at each one. I still want a full sized half ton truck, a Colorado just won't do.

I'll tell you mine - you tell me yours :-)

I have a 1500 series 2004 V8 Vortec 6000 high output (SS type of engine). Extended cab, automatic transmission - its REAR Wheel drive - so I know - it helps a bit compared to 4 x 4 (about 400 pounds lighter plus less mechanicals).

Highway, I'm getting 20.5 mpg but I think with another 5,000 miles added it'll be better (currently 3300 miles). Some say thats good mileage - but why shouldn't it be better with more ideas?

I use premium gas because of my higher stock compression ratio of 9.8 to 1 on the high output Vortex 6000 (versus the standard Vortex 6000 on the 2500 series).

1. I used Slick 50 (added at 1,000 miles). I figure anything that helps improve lubrication doesn't hurt me :-) (have used Slick 50 for many years in cars, trucks, and motorcycles.) Is there a better product?

2. Axle ratio is a key. I wanted my power band in the comfortable 1500 range - so I got a 3.73 axle ratio. 55 mph is 1400/1500 rpm.

3. Proper tire pressure and a hard folding tonneau cover to help air flow.

4. At break-in, I changed oil at 750 miles and again at 2500 - just to clear any new break in particles out of the system. Now I'll go to every 2500 miles changing and using Purolator oil filters (no Fram oil filters or Fram produced oil filters).

Possible upcoming efforts will be a Fram Air Hog permanent air filter and maybe some other suggestions.

Failed efforts? I tried the Tornado. Interesting concept - but actually reduced my MPG instead of improving it. Who knows - maybe the Vortec engines have it already designed in as stock :-)

Would love to hear other suggestions - as long as it doesn't mean hurting normal stock performance.

White Lightening

More pictures???
Link below shows them & a list of features and options on this 2wd SS
V.H.O.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/ga...ite+Lightening

Last edited by White Lightening; 07-30-2005 at 08:57 PM.