View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 10:29 PM   #1
86_SR5
AF Fanatic

Unhappy Whatever Happened TO...

..just building a model right from the box? No custom paint jobs. No decals, or GT Wings. No big rims and tires. No realism in extent, like carpeted floors, and plushed seats. No computer made decals for gauges? Whatever happened to the days when you could buy a model, a can of red and flat black paint, glue the entire body together, paint it red...glue and paint the whole interior flat black, and do your pedals and/or shift knob in silver or red? Where did those days go?

Well, I'll tell you this, I know someone who doesn't believe in all this realism BS. A good freind of mine Adam. When he buys a model, it may not be realistic when done, i.e.: no masked painted window trim and rubbers, no panel lines, everything the color of the body. He doesn't use primer or clear, and probably has paint look as good, if not better than P-man. Yes, it is possible. Adam, he doesn't put alot of effort in making his models realistic, he says because, if he did, it'd make him want to go drive it that much more. (considering his D.D. is a 87 Ford LTD! )

So, this post is really asking, where'd the days go when you could just slap paint on the body, flat on the interior, and glue the thing together and sit it on your shelf? I know he does it. And, his models are odd, ex: 66 dodge 330 grama car, but under the hood & chassis is a supercharged viper motor. He doesn't bother with accents and the like, and I just want to say, I respect him for that.

Mind you, all you masters are great. He likes the work you do, but he like me, likes our own work best! Because we built it, and that says something. So, maybe this was a waste of time, maybe I'm just doing this, because the cable's out.

But, I just wanted to let you all know of a modeller who does it the old fashioned way, like back in the day. When Tamiya didn't make R34's, SAS didn't exist, no one cared about details, if you had the newest Revell, Monogram, or AMT, built or on it's way to being done, it was still cool.
VENGEANCE IS MINE
SAYETH THE LORD
NO FEAR
86_SR5 is offline   Reply With Quote