View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
Brightwing 1
AF Newbie

Re: 69 Chevelle SS 396 falls on face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
Welcome Aboard!

I'm guessing that is starts and idles just fine. When the secondaries are opening (lower gear, 3/4 throttle, 4,300 RPM) is there any hint of slight popping or backfire in the intake? That could indicate improper valve timing.

I'm not sure what a "350HP" cam is, but can you I.D. the cam or post profile specs? That may be a hint/guide for setting the secondary AV windup spring and metering rod/hanger selection.
Thanks for replying Bowtie...Yes starts and idles OK, no popping or backfires thru the intake. The 350HP cam was just the 350 horsepower cam that was used on the L34 396 engine of that year, as opposed to the L35 that was the 325 HP engine. Probably a little more lift and duration, but don;t have the specs right off hand. The real hint to its issue is that it is stuttering when it does it and not just a smooth drop off. You can keep a steady foot on it and just buck and stutters.....no backfires, plus the fact that it all of a sudden started doing this. I am kind of swaying towards ignition because it is getting under a higher torque load in both situations.
Brightwing 1 is offline   Reply With Quote