View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004, 09:17 PM   #70
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 69' BOSS 302 VS Camaro Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercracer
You do realize that there is no such animal as a 427 Mustang don't you? A Shelby that may or may not have gotten one doesn't count. There is absolute zero documentation of one ever being put in a Mustang. Kevin Marti has exclusive rights to the Ford production database, and has found none. There were no 68-69 Torinos or Montego/Cyclones with one either. There were however Cougars in 1968 (GT-E) that got a 427. The sad thing is that this 427 relatively sucked. Any average 428CJ would kill it. It had standard small port/valve heads with a thin walled hydraulic lifter block and a low rise intake with funky flat exhaust manifolds.
The fordmuscle.com web site isn't exactly burning proof of a 331 existing. I believe that they have a typo. If there were a 331 engine there should be Ford literature out there to support it. I just haven't seen it. If you do find it, please let me know.
I'll have to dig up my old Hot Rods with the Boss 429 tests. The only tests that they got into the 13's were when they tweeked the cars. I am not saying that the Boss 429 doesn't have the greatest potential of any production Mustang........because I feel that it does. I think that they would be absolute terrors if more of them had been produced and the owners were willing to thrash them. A Boss 429 with a blower would be even more wicked.
Really?! Well I thought there was but I wasn't sure. Oh well. I wasn't talking about the regular 427 though, I thought it got the side-oiler which made over 600 HP I think(again not sure but I'm sure over 500 HP). The ones that came in shelby cobra's.

I know that wasn't real proof, and I thought you would say that. I'll try to get down the the shop tomorrow evening and take a peak in the HD catalog where I ordered the parts from.
I like the looks more than anything, of course the speed would be nice. But my second favorite stang is a 69' Mach 1, with either a 351C(NO WINDSORS!) a 390(did the mach come with a 390 option? Not sure), or 428. But I think I would find a BOSS 429 hood to slap on it anyway! I love them!