View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
lezdep
AF Regular

McLaren F1-GTR short tail by MFH

This is my first WIP on AF. I have number of WIPs in forums at f1m.com, because I mostly build models of Formula One cars.
But I could not pass on this great kit by MFH. I'm a big fan of McLaren F1 car and especially its racing version F1-GTR. So, I was
hugely excited when MFH announced full detail kit of it. I've converted my excitement into motivation and was able to overcome
my reservations towards full detail MFH kits.

Spent about 10 hours over the weekend. Not that much progress so far. Lots and lots of preparation work needed before I could
put first layers of primer onto parts. Fit of parts is pretty good so far. But many metal parts require a bit of reshaping and most
need little bit of clean up. Nothing major, there is just a lot of parts to go over. Also a lot of holes to drill out. It is typical
multi-media kit, so past experience working with such is a big plus. I'm going to use similar approach to this build as I've used
to curbside kits in the past. First go over all parts and do needed adjustments and preparations, while performing test assembly.
Next get primer on all the parts to be painted and protect bare metal parts with transparent metal primer. Next group parts by
colors and paint in batches. Next clear coat before decals, decal application and final clear coat. Next detail painting and then
off to assembly. That's the plan anyway.

I usually test assemble whole MM kit, or as least most of it, where it is critical to test fit of parts. I've started with chassis and
front suspension. Cleaned up parts, drilled holes and did small adjustments needed. All assembly is just dry mock up so far.

Here are couple of photos. Photos are a bit out of focus, but it wasn't my goal. They are just meant to show overall progress.

I haven't decided with livery I will use for this model, but there is plenty of work to complete, before that choice becomes critical.

lezdep is offline   Reply With Quote