View Single Post
Old 02-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #57
imster
AF Newbie

Re: Honda NSR500 (1984)

Well its finally finished!! It took a lot longer than expected because of a little holiday halfway through when a few of my family came to enjoy the great Australian summer []

I still need to finalise how I will display the cowlings, currently erring towards having it hanging above the bike like at the Honda Museum, once I do that I will update this with some more pics.

I hope you all enjoyed this WIP, probably didnt go through a lot of the detail work and how I did some of the components, mainly due to limited time on the bench. I am very pleased with the outcome and I can really recommend this kit to modellers who enjoy a little challenge.

Detail Up Sets Used:
Hobby Design Detail Up Set
Top Studio Clutch Set
Top Studio Steering Damper
Top Studio Chain Set

Decals:
Tamiya Kit Decals
Tabu Option Decal (for the Michelin logo on the rear swingarm)

Nuts and Bolts:
Various T2M, Top Studio and RB Motion

Wiring and Cables:
T2M, MFH, Tamiya Kit Tubing and Sakatsu Solder Wire

Paint:
Alclad Metalizers (Frame, and Components)
Tamiya Semi Gloss Black TS-29 Decanted (Engine, Front Uprights, Wheel Rims)
Alclad Grey Primer
Zero Paints Honda NSR500 '84 Red and White (Cowlings)
Tamiya TS15 Blue (Cowlings)
Zero Paints 2K Clear

Some things to keep in mind when building this kit:
- Do not use the blue decals for the cowlings, they are difficult to work with and you will not achieve a good finish on it like if it were painted, the correct colour which is pretty much an exact match to the decals is Tamiya TS-15.
- I found on my kit that the exhaust ends where they join with the cans were a little short, luckily I mocked it all up and was able to fix that problem.
- I found also on my kit that there was a large gap on the right hand side of the bike on the lower section of the radiator where it connects to the pipe, if you look closely on my photos you will see I wedged a some black painted styrene to fill the gap as I didnt mock this part up and it was too late to fix it properly at that point []
- If you want to ensure that the main parts of the bike are true to the real bike then you need to adjust the throttle cables section on the right hand side grip, they need to be turned 90 degrees to mimick the 1:1 version
- Do not use the Top Studio Shift Linkage for the Honda NSR500 (TD23037) it is incorrect for this NSR500 version and is probably designed for the later versions.
- The Top Studio NSR500 Clutch Set (TD23147) is also incorrect but if you look at my build you can see that it can be modified to work .
- The Top Studio Steering Damper (TD23148) is incorrect as well but once again if you look at my build you will see I used some parts on my build.

I think that covers it all, I guess all thats left is for me to thank all of you for your comments, suggestions, and support!

Now the final pics

Detail pics:

And here are the cowlings completed, they will not be displayed for the time being until I figure out how to hang them convincingly!

imster is offline   Reply With Quote