View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 08:32 AM   #7
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Series III 3.8 liter Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdubya
Before making a decision on the CXL vs CXS I strongly suggest you drive each one first. I did and was very much disappointed in the 3.6. It seemed to me that the transmission was constanly downshifting whenever I accelerated at speeds between 35 and 50 mph. Didn't seem as though the engine had enough low end torque which is NOT the case with the 3.8. I mentioned this to the salesperson and he agreed - said it seemed awfully "busy" to him and that he had been told by Buick engineers at a new product showing that they "were working on that". I have had 3 Regal GS's previous to my LaCrosse and do miss the extra HP of the supercharged 3.8. But I settled for the CXL because I thought it was adequate and functioned much better than the 3.6. I got my LaCrosse last November so maybe Buick has worked this problem out by now.
Gdubya

I believe that Buick really blew this one on the CXS. The 3.6 leaves a lot to be desired. However, the logical thing for Buick to do is replace the 3.6 with what they already have in production from other products such as the '05 Grand Prix GTP. It has a supercharged version of Series III 3800 putting out 260 hp and 280 ft-lbs of torque.

I'm going to sit this one out until they get the mess straightened up, however, the Pontiac is looking awfully good at this time.

BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote