View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: Untraceable Current Draw on 96 i30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude13 View Post
I have had my i30 since the end of the summer and it has 236k+ miles on it. About a month ago my battery died, so i jumped it and it ran a few days, then the battery died again. I took it to a shop and they told me they couldnt find anything and it has to be the battery. Needless to say I went through two batteries and it was still happening, so I took it to another shop and lo and behold, they found a draw. The only problem is that they can't locate it. They pulled all of the fuses, checked the alternator, the voltage regulator etc. The mechanic said he was only able to check a few of the solenoids but nothing was wrong with them. Basically where I am at now is that I know there is a draw coming from somewhere, but I, and two shops, can't locate it. Anybody have any ideas? It just randomly started happening and I know it could possibly be a short somewhere, but everything seems to be working fine when the car is running. I am lost. ANd the engine is pristine I want to get this bad boy over 300k.
The voltage reg is IN the alt. This can be intermittently drawing 1-2 Amps current. Also from the normal wear, the accumulating copper soot can play myriad tricks: always after 60k there is this stuff in the alt. 1A draw means that after 48 hours, 48Amps is gone from your batt = NOstart. Clean/Replace or repair. Normal total draw is below 0.05A - this can be measure at batt, after disconnecting cable: measur using Amps scale between batt.pole-cable.terminator.
.See my CDomain site for this issue... ('all' nissan alternators contain same features.). Btw, You can do this troubleshoot - fusepulling all by yourself; no need to go to a shop. Just a 10$ gauge.

Whatever extra electronics there is - they can intermittently draw current if connected direcly (not via ign ctrl) to the batt.
The courtesy dimmer can play intermittently foul. I changed all lamps into leds; trunk, doors, inside.
Bigger battery. Now there is 95Ah batt, problems gone...

However, if/when the problem is ON, pulling fuses and connectors, measuring - it is easy to locate the current drawing component. If your shop cannot do this, go to another...

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote