View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
CL8
AF Enthusiast

Re: Replacing Struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
Ideally the suspension should just rebound after a bump with no bouncing at all. 3 bounces is too many. IMO anything more than one bounce us excessive, since it makes handling less predictable and makes for a busy, bumpy, unpleasant ride.
I would say what I felt was more of a rebound than a "bounce" however, as Rod mentioned, I don't know what it looks like to someone watching from the side of the road.

Quote:
From Shorod:
As for scalloping of tire tread, that can be easily felt by running your hand around a tire tread surface. If it slides pretty easily in a counter-clockwise direction but catches and you can feel high points when sliding your hand in a clockwise position, that indicates scalloping/cupping and suggests something isn't right. It could be struts/springs, it could be a balance issue, or it could be an alignment issue. In some cases, it could be a tire design issue (I don't think I ever saw a Goodyear Invicta tire that didn't have some amount of cupping).
I also checked over my front two tires today and they look very good, I didn't see any uneven tread that would look like scalloping you describe.
These are the 2007 tires I posted about not long ago, because they are coming upon four years old, but I only drive the van a couple times a week so they don't get much wear.

I might take my daughter with me on a street with speed bumps, have her drive over the speed bumps while I stand outside and see if I can detect excessive bouncing from outside the van. If I do that and can't see much bouncing, I will be convinced my van will be fine without replacing the struts at least for now. Does that sound reasonable?
Also at what speed should I (or my daughter) be driving to test the bouncing?

Thanks,
CL8
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness;
and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Romans 10:9-10
CL8 is offline   Reply With Quote