View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
aztec7fan
AF Newbie

Exclamation '98 GGC Laredo stalling problem/solution

OK, hopefully this may help someone else by not having to replace too many good parts.
We just bought an 1998 JGC Laredo and it ran fine for the first week, then started stalling. Our mechanic originally thought it was the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) and replaced it, and we thought that solved the problem since it ran better. They made a comment at the time that the prevoius owner had been "chasing this problem for a while since most of the ignition parts had been replaced (computer, CPS, coil, etc)
In a few days though, it started stalling and we took it back to them. Note, no error codes, and the check engine light never came on. After scratching their heads for a while, the finally did a "wiggle test" on the wiring and found that one of the plugs on the computer was loose, and the plug itself needs to be replaced. I can easily make the car stall by just pushing down on the plug a little.

I temporarily have it working much better by using wire ties and securing the plug down to the computer, but at some point I will need to replace it.

Make sure if you replace it, you get one from a Jeep with the same S/N on your computer. Jeep was very bad about making changes to the computers and systems and you could easily get an incompatible one.
aztec7fan is offline   Reply With Quote