View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 09:41 PM   #19
military
AF Newbie

Re: too much washing/waxing?

Please be aware that auto cleaning detergent is simply a surfactant. It simply breaks the bond between the dirt and the surface. It's the water that removes the dirt. The single most important element in maintaining a clean and shiny finish is to use plenty of water. Other important elements are clean soft rags (preferably cotton), a light touch (do NOT scrub) except in unusual situations, and then only modestly), and rinsing the surface as well as possible before touching it with the cleaning rag.

Remember also that the simple act of driving introduces miniscule surface scratches no matter what you try. A good wax like Maguire's with carnauba wax will also help greatly, primarily in creating a conformal coating over the paint and also in preventing the loss of the paint's oils.

IMHO waxing the car every week is doing more to introduce microscopic scratches than to protect your finish. I recommend not waxing with today's products more than four times a year, depending on your climate. Every good wax on the market today will last at least four months in any climate.

By the way, the flex agent used in the paint on your plastic bumper covers will cause the clear coat (if you have it) or the paint to begin to deteriorate after about ten years unless your car stays garaged 27-7 no matter what you do. My current car is over 13 years old, maintained extremely well, and I can see close up deterioration on the clearcoat of the bumper covers. It cannot be avoided.

My qualifications? Besides being a retired engineer, I've been keeping cars looking good for over a half a century. I'm going to try to attach a photo of my current car, if the site will let me. Here goes:
Well, the software says the file is too large. Sorry.
military is offline   Reply With Quote