View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
GeoRandy
AF Regular

Re: Geo Metro Restoration

This much I have done with some help from others. New CV axles, replaced the cam and crankshaft seals, new radiator, new water pump, some switches and controls replaced in the dash, better stereo, a new headliner, and center console with armrest and storage beneath from a Dodge Neon. I replaced the clockspring behind the steering wheel air bag but didn't have the money at the time to get an intermittent wiper control. The interior is perfect now. My shift shaft is leaking and I just found a supplier for the seal and ordered one. I'll post the supplier if and when it arrives correctly. I have a complete exhaust from Rockauto and plan to put it on after I replace that shift shaft seal that is leaking all over the undercarriage. I'm up to 190,000 miles now and the engine is still running well. The transmission is good except for the refusal to downshift into 3rd gear. I will keep running the engine and transmission until one or the other fails, then I will rebuild them both (by other,) I have never rebuilt either. I still need to replace or repair both front fenders. I'm still running on the 13" steel wheels (painted metal flake black) as 14" or 15" rims are last on the list. I hoped I could buy them when this set of tires wears out, but probably will go through another set before I get new wheels....and I still haven't decided what rims I like best.
It is still my daily driver and I am spoiled by the 47 mpg no matter how hard or soft I drive it. The wheel bearings and shocks should probably be replaced as they are all original, but since the mileage is still where it was when it was new I haven't considered them as a necessity yet. Who knows, replacing those might get me above 50 mpg. When I do get around to the engine and transmission I may look for a 4.1 gear instead of the 4.39. That, with a new engine may push me over 50 mpg.
GeoRandy is offline   Reply With Quote