View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Mx5guy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Mx5guy Send a message via Yahoo to Mx5guy
Re: Disconnected cooling fan and car won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostWithSkin View Post
well it turned out to be the stupid aftermarked security system that the previous owner had put in that i was unaware of until. now. i have ripped it out and now it starts fine...sadly i have a new problem...the car overheats if im sitting at a red light, even if i have it sitting in neutral. it also overheats if i hold in the clutch while coasting downhill, so basically, if im not giving it gas, it overheats. i have the fans hooked up directly to the battery so i know they are both working. i put in a new thermostat which works fine going down the highway or interstate. all i can think of is that the fans might not have enough power? i really am running out of ideas on what is causing this. ive had a car with a blown head gasket before and that is not what this is. any help would be greatly appreciated. this thing is turning into a riddle
Don't worry buddy this will be over soon enough, if the fans are hooked up to the battery time to rule them out as a possible cause, they are working and they are not variable speed only one speed, your next thing to look at is a clogged radiator, bad or old radiator cap that doesn't hold the right pressure, also if the car is leak free, run the car and observe water hoses make sure you don't have a collapsing hose restricting coolant flow. But for your car to run properly and bring the car back to factory condition, you should check fan relays make sure they are working if they are fine, change the coolant sensor/fan switch to allow the fans to work automatically the way they should. Blessings and good luck.
Mx5guy is offline   Reply With Quote