View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
RandomTask
Banned

Re: Hybrids from an engineering standpoint

Firstly, sorry its been so long on a post, and I do have a picture of the Fiero curtis, just haven't had time to get it posted up. That motor did detonate internally. You suggested a northstar, but I'm going ahead and doing a Supercharged 3800 swap, Ill keep you posted on that.

In second with craigs statements, I think of it like this. Where as a normal car loses energy every time you decelerate, a hybrid is able to aquire this energy and store it in electricity to it. Yes, while there is always loss of energy, electric motors have now become efficient enough to imploy into such a way.

One other thing, you state an electric motor making 50 hp, then being reduced to 40hp. Where are you getting this reduction? An electric motor doesn't have to undergo through a driveline like normal IC motors, usually there is an electric motor on every wheel if not at least two on a vehicle. I know the newer motors on the drawing boards in michigan are at around the 50ft/lbs of torque mark. They are geared at the wheel, but I don't know if they are seeing such a loss (for a 20% loss like that resembles the loss of an inefficient automatic or CVT)

My two cents
RandomTask is offline   Reply With Quote