View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
Suburban-97
AF Newbie

Re: Intake Manifold Gasket (my own Do-It-Yourself experience)

Yes, I really think so too.. There is a HUUUUUGE satisfaction when you do it yourself!
I also think that not even the best and most dedicated mechanic would do the cleaning part as well as YOU do it on your own car. It would take too long.. they get paid by the hour, to them it's just another job that needs to be done in a timely manner.

There are many other websites on this topic, mine is not perfect either and it lacks some important pictures as well. For instance I was afraid to stop and take a picture after applying the RTV beads, because I thought I was already late in dropping the intake manifold on the gaskets and the RTV would harden right away. (I really didn't know how to really apply the RTV, how thick I should go.. My knowledge wasn't that mature and my imagination was not enough). Then I read the instructions on the tube and it said that it would take up to 1 hour until it starts to harden. Well, anyhow, I wish I had someone to take the pictures. I did my best and I have tons more pictures that I haven't published, pictures that I took because I was afraid I couldn't remember how all the 'stuff' was before I disconnected it..
I had to publish the pictures that show how the A/C bracket slides forward vs. just prying it, because I wasn't able to find those pictures anyhere else on the Internet. Same with the picture of the shiny spots on the distributor gear metal.. I've heard about it, but never saw it. If I had my own pictures before I started, I would have been much better off, and THAT's exactly why I hope that some other do-it-yourselfers can benefit of my posting.