View Single Post
Old 07-15-2006, 03:44 AM   #5
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

Re: Dont know which engine oil to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassanbigboss
Hey guys I just got my hands on a 1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Edition with 95000 miles for $3300.The cars is in great condition and the engine is strong as if it was new. The problem I am having is that I dont know which oil grade to use in the car's engine and the transmission. I do all of the lube changes at home and I prefer Mobil 1 for oil changes. The thing is that I just dont know which oil to choose. Please help.

i actually use Quaker State High Mileage 10W-30 in my 95 town car with a K&N oil filter. and i live in pennsylvania where the weather conditions are not that extreme (except when it decides to snow or when we get our nasty heat waves sometimes with high humidity). but even with the extremely hot temperatuers we are dealing with now, it makes my car run better and it seems even more powerful (along with my K&N air filter), but since it has 192,000 miles on it the 5W-30 wasn't doing the trick. the car didn't seem the run right. i am NOT sayin to use 10W-30 right away, however if the car doesnt seem to run smoothly i would suggest doing what i do. but like steve said, even though the manual suggests 5W-30, and if you want to get a heavier oil, then it all depends on the surroundings you live it (weather conditions). however, if the engine is strong like you said, then just stick with the 5W-30. no harm there

however i would suggest at least everyone once try the K&N oil filter. wow, what a difference it makes. the car seems to run better and has better performace, and it keeps the oil really clean. i just change my oil the other day and that oil filter kept the oil much cleaner than a regular oil filter. i think i paid $12.00 at pep boys. i highly recommend it! i wonder if they make their own motor oil?