View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Prizm Husband
AF Newbie

Geo Prizm Clutch Slave Cylinder issue

Hello all, and thank you in advance for any insights you may have.

Does anyone know for a fact whether or not the clutch slave cylinder for a 1995 Geo Prizm is located inside the transmission, and if not, whether the transmission would need to be removed to install a new slave cylinder?

My wife and I just spent 850 dollars to have our clutch slave cylinder replaced in our 1995 geo prizm due to air getting in the line. $650 labor, $100 to have the clutch plate machined, and $95 for clutch hydraulic fluid. As it turns out, there was still air getting into the line. The service tech that checked us in said that his mechanic said that sometimes "air gets into the line". Just from my experience in working with bicycle forks and disc brakes, this seemed counterintuitive, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. We took the car back, and as it turns out, we needed to replace the master cylinder. Also, they charged $95 for clutch fluid, stating this type of fuid is very expensive. Some of my gearhead friends have said that it's just basic DOT fluid and should not have cost so much.

I now have concerns that we've been lied to and overcharged so that's why I'm posting about where the slave cylinder is located, because we may have to file a grievance if it goes that far.

(of note, the service tech seemed to become somewhat defensive when I began to ask probing questions about why the clutch fluid wasn't properly bled the first time)

Thank you so much for any insight you may have.

Kind Regards,

Andy
Prizm Husband is offline   Reply With Quote