View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
JAGGEDXKR
AF Newbie

Angry Re: 2001 XK8 Roof Latch Oil Hose Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyMax
The automatic roof latch, located inside the upper windshield frame, started leaking thin green oil as I attempted to lower the top. What a mess! Needless to say, this was shocking since my XK8 is a low mileage pampered car with only 32,000 miles on it. Yes, I do lower the top as often as I can, but jeez! The latch ought to last the lifetime of the car. I've been an engineer in the automotive industry for a long time and any major malfuntion below 100,000 miles is considered a design failure (i.e., not 'wear and tear').

Anyway, the dealer replaced the hydraulic hoses front to back, and the latch mechanism, all under my extended warranty ($0 cost to me). It's been working just fine since, but I'm a little paranoid now. This repair would've cost me a bundle if I had to pay for it.

My major concern is whether this hydraulic latch failure is common or if this is a fluke. If it's common, then can I expect this to leak again in a few years (next time at my expense)?

Also, are there any other ticking 'time bombs' in this car that I should know about now? If I am aware, I can perhaps fool my dealer to repairing common 'malfunctions' before they happen. Does that make me such a bad person? LOL

How ironic!! My wifes 2001/35,000 mile xkr suddenly has the exact same problem.If you could Please let me know of the exact cause as I would rather not replace all the possible causes.Thanks in advance
JAGGEDXKR is offline   Reply With Quote