View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 98 Sunfire - Crank No Start

If you have no spark, and the injectors are firing, those plugs get wet and you will smell fuel.....

Pull the plugs......they may all be wet.....clean/ replace.....

You check injector pulse with a noid light.....disconnect an injector, attach the noid light to the harness, and if it flashes while you crank the engine, it means the injectors are firing.....it also means that you have a crank signal from the crank sensor....if it doesn't flash, it could be a crank sensor....

I Have seen ICM's and coils test ok out of cars, but not in cars....

When you take the top of the engine off, on the bottom of the cover is the ICM(little rectangular box), and the ignition tower.....the only true way to check for spark on these engines, is to buy 4 ignition wires and run them from the ignition tower to the corresponding spark plugs(the boots that attach the plugs to the ignition tower have to be removed) and run a ground wire from the metal cover that houses the tower/coils to a good ground.....now one at a time, you remove one wire from a spark plug and attach a spark tester to the end of the line, crank the vehicle and look for spark......check all four this way....

As I stated, I have seen the coil tower(the plastic piece attached to the engine cover that houses the two coils), short out due to carbon tracks, and cause a no start....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote