View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #26
jesselhodges
AF Newbie

Re: Fuse blows in 2000 neon

I've been working on the same problem for 2 months now so I understand the confusion in finding the problem and finally believe its fully fixed. Mine would blow at random but did seem to lean more towards the times she would turn around with a hard left and then take off again and then may run fine for the next 2 or 3 the trips. It never blew while sitting still so was nearly impossible to find. The first place I looked was under the car next to the motor mount and frame as others stated. Its more to the passenger side of the car. The poor design did led to the movement of the car to slowing cut the wiring in half and cause it to short out or so I thought. I cleaned the frayed wires to the best of my ability, recoated with a wire silicone type stuff and wrapped with a thick plastic and used quick ties to keep the plastic in place. Then took a large quick tie and pull the wires away from the motor mount. This is quite a job as the wires hardly move here. After this I assumed it was fixed. A month passed and it didn't blow anymore fuses. Then last weekend we had new motor mounts put on and bam, the problem returned the first trip out. After reading a few more forums I started from the fuse itself and followed the wires till I found the new frayed wires. This time I found 4 or 5 bare wires under the air box. I included pictures to maybe help others. It wasn't to bad to get to, the only confusion came when I went to replug in the plugs I unhooked that was attached to the bad wires. It can plug in either way but couldn't figure out which way was right. I come to realize that the dirt and grime on the plug rested on the top of it and the cleaner side down which was when it was in the L shape. When you look at the plug that should make a little more sense. After that I put it all back together and so far so good. No blown fuses. Also when fixing this it also fixed the air which didn't has electricity to it so I got lucky and fixed it in the process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2374.jpg (123.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2373.jpg (123.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2383.JPG (282.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2384.JPG (295.9 KB, 1 views)
jesselhodges is offline   Reply With Quote