View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #24
umbluegray
AF Newbie

Re: Fuse blows in 2000 neon

I know this is an old thread but it helped me tremendously.

My wife's uncle recently gave us his 2000 Dodge Neon. As I was driving it home the engine died. My wife found this thread.

After checking, yes, the #10 fuse (15 amp mini) had blown. I replaced the fuse and all was fine.

Until it blew again. And again. And again ad nauseum.

This past weekend my father came over and we started looking around for the wire mentioned in one of the previous posts.

We found two wires that appeared suspect. Because we fixed both wires I can't say for sure which wire had been causing the fuse to blow.

First, there was a small wire on the passenger side of the motor under the top radiator hose. We had to lift the radiator hose as much as possible to allow me enough room to work my had down behind the radiator in front of the block. And the wire was just out of reach.

The wire had a bare spot about 2 inches long and you could see that the two ends had been twisted together. One end of the wire ran down underneath the motor. We crawled under the car (after jacking up the front end) and found the wire in question. Using about 8 inches of split wire flex tubing we were able to put the wire inside the tubing and work it up so that the bare section of wire was shielded inside the tubing. This prevents the exposed wire from touching metal.

Second, underneath the motor near the driver side tire there was a large-gauge black ground wire that had broken away from its eye connector. We stripped the end of the wire and attached it to a new eye connector. We unscrewed the old eye connector and screwed the new eye connector into the same spot.

Since we made those repairs on Sunday (after church of course) 12/11/11 the #10 fuse has NOT blown out again. I've driven the car four days now and haven't had to replace a fuse yet.

Again, I can't say which wire was the culprit, but I'd put my money on the ground wire.
umbluegray is offline   Reply With Quote