View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 02:20 AM   #38
FabricGATOR
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to FabricGATOR
Re: Advice to new riders.

I just read these three pages of posts.......

Its not IF you'll go down, its WHEN........ and how many times is up to you.

I have a friend who is now parapalegic (loss use of legs) Helmet would have prevented this.

Pre-flight inspect your machine..... Its like skydiving, you would check your parachute first. Every time.
-tire pressure and condition
-fuel
-brake condition and fluid level
-oil
-lights front and rear
-general condition of your machine
-etc........

When you go down, it has been suggested to me that you try to stay with the bike... If you try to kick off of the beast that just threw you, It can slide running in gear, if the tires catch and the bike stands up it'll possibly run you over. This could really ruin your day. (I want to hear comments on this theory)

YOU are responsible for your safety. Any car, bus, cow, pedestrian, dog, geico squirrel, can do anything, at any time. Be prepared for the unexpected..... LOOK FOR IT....IT IS THERE!

Lane position...... dont ride away from the traffic going in the same direction.
EXAMPLE: If in the left lane ride in the right side of your lane nearer to the other cars in the right lane. This keeps your headlight in their sideview mirror longer -AND- Cars overtaking you will allow more spacing before moving over in front of you.
EXAMPLE 2: Center lane, cars on both sides..... ride down the center of your lane....Right lane,oposite of left (once you try this and understand It'll come naturally to you) SEE AND BE SEEN
Remember, if you cant see them in their mirror, they probably cant see you. Dont linger in their blind spot.

I use highbeam headlight all day long. Use directionals... they will help you also SEE AND BE SEEN

Always be in 1st gear and observing in your rearview mirror when stopped. Be ready to go SOMEWHERE if the car about to hit you from behind didnt see you. Sometimes I'll even release and squeze the brake to get the brake light to turn off and on once or twice.

I am always scanning for trouble. I try to make head movement part of my regime. Especially when I am trying to make sure that the old lady that is about to make a right over the top of me, see's me. I'll take a quick look to the left, and if I'm pretty sure that something is not going to jump at me, I'll make a sweeping head movement towards the driver about to make the right turn ....... I find this helps them make eye contact/recognition (still, don't trust eye contact) Be prepared for anything!

When it rains..... Stop light..... You'll have more traction, more stopping power in the puddle on either side of your lane, then in the middle. Here's the deal: Hundreds of cars a day stop at that light, many will drip oil... right down the center. (have you noticed that black streak?) When it rains the water gets through to the asphalt and actuall lifts the oil up.....very slippery. (remember the toll booth falls in the previous posts)

These are some of the things I wanted to impress upon new riders. I enjoy riding and even sometimes without the brain bucket. I try to do it as safe as I can without detracting from the comfort. I think Jousting must really suck. (riding hot sweaty horses at each other, at high speeds, wearing a steel armor and chainmail suit, while pointing sharpened sticks at your opponent) Full leather, helmet, boots, Florida, summer.... not enjoyable.
For me personally, some leather boot that protects the ankle bone is a must. The thought of sliding with the cycle ontop of my leg and grinding away at that bone......

Everyday, we must make a choice as to what extent we are going to sacrafice comfort for safety. It is my beleif that there is also a level of discomfort that becomes a safety issue in itself. Every man dies, but not every man knows how to live well.......

There's not many expierences like blasting north on I-95 at a hundred forty something miles an hour, buck naked at 3am and have a large palmetto bug fly up out of the median and hit you dead smack in the addams apple...... now thats where you descide how you want to live the rest of your life!
1987 944 N/A
1976 Buick Century (SCRAPED)
1979 Yamaha XS1100
I have a parking problem everywhere I go...

2004 Pontiac Gran Prix . . I don't care.
1993 Mustang LX . . . . . I don't care..
1996 Honda Civic CX. . . . . I don't care, well, maybe a just little...
I can't afford to love her anymore!

Last edited by FabricGATOR; 12-02-2004 at 08:29 PM.
FabricGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote