View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 02:02 AM   #9
Suburban-97
AF Newbie

Re: Intake Manifold Gasket (my own Do-It-Yourself experience)

Congrats mikeinut!!!

I know it was a nasty job, but don't you feel much better now? When I did my repair, I felt like going out and telling everyone what I did, expecting them to tell me I was 'Tha Man'. Most of them replied with: "Intake Mani-WHAT?!?"

I still feel good about what I did, nobody can take that away from me. Would I do it again? Hmm.., let's just hope that there is no next time, but if there is I'll probably pass next time. Knowing what I now know I'll probably be a pain in the butt to the mechanic who'll do it

And you are so right in regards to the pain, mikeinut. I remember my rib cage hurting like crazy after this repair. In my case it lasted for about a week or maybe even two after I had finished the job, even though I used a few very soft pillows placed on top of the radiator. At times I thought I could feel serious pain in the liver/pancreas area, but it turned to be just 'Intakemanifolditis'

I am glad that my project page has helped a little bit in accomplishing your goal. Maybe some day I'll redo it and put the pictures on the same page rather than just links. Pictures are really worth a thousand words, but just 1000 words are not worth anything without a bit of a 'visual'. While doing my Internet research before my repair, trying to gather as much material on the intake manifold gasket replacement as I could, I found many people like me, trying to describe what they did and how they did it, but it still didn't help me much without pictures. Then I took certain words like 'intake' + 'rtv' + 'bead' + 'intake' and did just picture searches and I found pictures of beads of RTV on engine blocks.. Gosh, I am so glad I was able to use the Internet for this! I would have been lost without it..

As an update, my Suburban is still ..PERFECT!
I am now used to check it for leaks, coolant and oil levels and all that every time I fill it up with gas or change the oil and all seems 100% OK. No signs of anything, no sweet coolant smell. This truck seems to say 'Thank you!' for the fact that I took good care of it so far.