View Single Post
Old 01-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #337
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Re: Codes 171 & 174 TSB # 03-16-1 update

SHORTCUT ALERT: !!!

So I bought a set of FelPro ES 72204 grommets and began the task. I DID A SHORT CUT. Since I believe all seals were good, other than the grommets, I decided NOT to upset the intake middle manifold piece ... the one that the throttle body attaches too.

1. Disconnect a battery cable and remove wipers and cowl.
2. Remove plastic upper cover. (14 bolts or so). For access, disconnect spark cables from plugs on cyls 4, 5, and 6. Move aside.
3. Use bent wire to clear EGR jets if required.
4. ONE AT A TIME: Clean away puddled oil and remove one of the eight isolator bolts. Cut away the old grommet. Clean the bolt with brake cleaner. Apply Permatex Ultra Gray RTV to the bore of the grommet and install onto bolt. (The RTV, though messy, will help ease the assembly ... as well as offer additional sealing.) Apply RTV under head of bolt and under top end of black sleeve. Also apply RTV to main seal surface of grommet. Use blue paper towels to make sure seal area is clean and install bolt. Torque to spec ... 85 lb in's or so.

By installing bolts, one at a time, it is hoped that the middle piece is not disturbed and the lower seals will continue to do their job. Note how much work is not required for this procedure ... even the air filter is left in place. Time will tell if it is a good procedure ... my engine certainly runs sweeter.

Last edited by 12Ounce; 01-26-2016 at 03:11 PM.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote