View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
SunnyPython
AF Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to SunnyPython
Re: GMC Jimmy feature issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleekat View Post
First let me congratulate you for this undertaking. Do you have any mechanical aptitude?
Do you own a basic tool kit? Do you own a voltmeter? (lots of how to on the web)
I am not a mechanic, nor do I have experience with cars but I am what I would call a 'mechanical thinker'. I'm good at taking things apart and putting them back together :P I own a hammer, and I do not have a voltmeter, but it's on the 'to get' list, and have access to one I can borrow.

Quote:
1. Look in your owners manual where all the fuses are located.
2. When you rotate the dimmer switch to on, it overrides the overhead switch. Probably bad dimmer switch.
3. If neither mirror operates. It's more than likely the switch rather than both mirror motors are bad.
1. The fuse box is to the left of my steering wheel, on the side. Or do you mean there's a fuse on the other end of the wire I need to find?
2. As of last night, turning this switch on still makes the overhead light come on, but now my panel (gas meter, engine heat, etc.) does not light up anymore. So maybe it's just my dash light needs fixing.
3. I have to repair the left mirror anyway. It's got duck tape residue all over it, it seems a part was replaced in it so the duct tape was no longer needed, but as it is, I can't actually turn it, so yeah, that's a visibility issue! Both need to happen, it seems. Where do I find the switch, and replace it?

Quote:
When you post questions. Give year, make, model, engine size etc. The more details the better.
Alot of auto diagnosis is not "what part is bad", but rather "what is working". Then use process of elimination. If you don't, you'll wind up just throwing parts at the probably with no guarantee it will fix it. Lots of auto parts stores do have some experienced mechanics who for one reason or another just don't work on cars anymore. Others there "have an alarm clock, show up to work on time and able to pass a drug test"...

Oh, one more thing. If you post a problem. And one of the smart guys/gals ask a question. Please respond to what they ask, it helps with diagnosing.
I'll keep this in mind for sure! Thank you for the tip! I have updated my OP to reflect the year/make/model as I have to the best of my knowledge.
SunnyPython is offline   Reply With Quote