View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
chocolatevan
AF Newbie

Engine dies under load; recovers quick and is fine going "easy"

2000 Astro, 75000 miles:
The SE light came on a few days before the first incident. Going up a grade on cruise control, the tranny shifts into overdrive to keep the speed up, and the engine hesitates, and then dies. I pull over, check gauges -all normal- and it starts fine, and runs normal. I make it home. Next day I have it scoped, and the engine code reads electrical malfunction. They do a tune-up, all Delco parts: plugs, cap, rotor, wires, pcv valve, and fuel filter. The next morning it tests fine; I gun it on the on ramp and it goes up to 85 no problem (just as a test; I drive 65-70 normally). But later that day it again has the same problem with hesitation, only this time not on cruise control so I back off quick enough to not have it stall out.
Another mechanic checks it (problem with first one honoring his already expensive estimate of $500 or less, with oil change.) Using a SnapOn portable reader, she comes up with either the crankshaft monitor (rpm) or the fuel pump wearing. (I told mechanic #1 it felt like fuel issue) And she tells me not to let the tank go less than half or a third full or the pumps run dry on curves and wear prematurely.
Is the fuel pump the probable culprit? Or is there anything else I should look at? Already ordered a Delphi fuel pump to have in the van ready to go.
Many thanks; this is a great forum.
chocolatevan is offline   Reply With Quote