View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
RossT
AF Regular

my 12 to 13 inch steel wheel upgrade project PICS

As most of you know, 12 inch tires are becoming very hard to find. My 93 metro will need a new set soon. The current ones are dry rotting after only 15,000 miles. I chose to upgrade to the 13 inch steel. I will have a better choice of tires and hopefully better ride.

So, I went to the junk yard and couldn't find any newer metro rims. So i checked the list of what fits. I found a late 80's early 90's front wheel drive Mitsubishi Mirage with 13 inch rims 4.5 inch (114.3mm) bolt pattern and neat center caps, so I bought them. They weren't to rusty.

Price of the rims was $15 each. $60 total

Next step was to have a tire shop remove the old tires. $10 total

Next step was to clean them up before painting. I searched and found several methods of paint stripping and sanding etc.. also sand blasting.
I called a local shop and they said to bring them in. So to save my time in prep work I had them blasted.

All I can say is that they look awesome!

Blasting cost $10 each (includes front back and tire bead) $40 total.

My total costs thus far is $110 for the 4 rims.

I will post more pics as I do the finishing work. I have the 10x1.25 bulge
lug nuts on order. I plan to use duplicor or VHT spray can wheel paint in black with a clear on top.I have heard really good things about these brands. I am not sure if I will paint the center caps or not. They look nice in their pollished crome finish now and will match the crome lug nuts. But I may paint them black to match the rims. What would you do?

More to come this week.

Ross
RossT is offline   Reply With Quote