View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #298
Sparky1349
AF Regular

Re: INTAKE GASKET MAIN PAGE, PLEASE POST Q'S&A'S HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webtyrant69
I'll try it if it makes removing the plate easier, thanks. Mine is a 2002, and I was advised to take many pics of everything i touch. I appreciate the feedback, I'm sure I'll have a few more questions to get me through.
Hey webtyrant69, I just finished my 2002 on Saturday. After removing and installing the coil pack at least 6 times I got pretty good at it. If you haven't gotten rid of the windshield wiper linkage do that first. Disconnect the drivers side arm at the wiper end & the center crank to remove it completely. Undo the link from the center crank to the wiper motor at the wiper motor. Then move the passenger wiper until you have as much room as possible to get your arm back around behind the coil pack.

You will also want to get rid of the MAP sensor and bracket (black square box right in front of the coil pack with a couple of vacuum lines attached) take the sensor off the bracket and then pull the bolt off of the unpper intake to get the bracket off, be careful with the vacuum line from the MAP sensor to the fuel pressure regulator, I snapped mine off the second or third time I pulled the MAP sensor. Pull the vacuum line from the intake to the power brake booster. You can flip the hose over under the cowl or just pull the fitting out of the brake booster and pull the hose completely out, careful the hose fittings on the intake and the brake booster are plastic!

Get the wire harness out of the way as best as you can, if you want everything is going to get unplugged anyway so remove all of the connections and flip the whole harness over the radiator, note where all the connectors go. There are 2 connections you have to keep track of, the O2 sensor is on the back exhaust manifold (who's F---en idea was that!) and the crank sensor wire is on the back side of the engine. The 3 pin connector that goes to the back drivers side connector on the coil pack (This is the crank trigger wire) doesn't attached to the main wire loom so you might want to tie a piece of string to it. I wasn't watching for it and it got trapped under the throttle body, I didn't notice until I went to make all of the connections on the coil and wound up having to strip everything off to lift the upper intake so I could get the damn connector out. Trust me, the engine will not run without that connection. Some of the connectors like the O2 sensor have a locking pin that goes through the release mechanism, they can be a pain in the ass to get out, just do the best you can with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Get a ratchet with a 13mm deep socket and a 3-4 inch extension, use your hand to guide the socket over the nut on the stud, just run your finger along the aluminum mounting plate from the passengers side to the drivers side, you will feel the nut. Then just guide the socket over the nut, you should just have to back it off 1 turn then spin it off with you finger, there is a tip on the stud so you will have to grab the nut to take it off, use a magnet if you have to, don't drop it because it probably won't make it to the ground.

Good Luck,

Steven

Last edited by Sparky1349; 05-21-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Sparky1349 is offline   Reply With Quote