Thread: Brake Help
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 09:45 AM   #8
johnb16a2
AF Enthusiast

Re: Brake Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLADe781
Well, all we ended up doing was bleeding the system. We took off the wheels and checked the hose, wheel cylinders, and drums but nothing was visibly leaking or cracked. So that was pretty damn annoying. Remember the lug bolt that I broke? Well, luckily there was enough bolt left so we were able to buy a new nut and just used that to hold it in place for the meantime.

Aside from that, the bleeding did absolutely no good as far as the feeling of the brake pedal goes. I mean, it stops but I still think there's some type of air getting into the system or the system just has air still because there's still a bit of play before it actually stops. Can the brake system be gravity bled the way the clutch system can? Because if it could then he could do it by himself again...although it is a bit "scary" since two of the nipples were semi-stripped. Yeah, he's in college and I can't drive out here every weekend so you know...

So yeah, feeling a bit damn depressed seeing that I feel like I caused more harm than good.... :o/
The brake system can't be gravity bled as far as I know, and replacement bleeders (I assume that's what you're talking about) can be found at most auto parts stores.

Since bleeding the system didn't really help much, I'd wager the master cylinder is bad, my 89 did something similar, the pedal would be fine most of the time and once in a while the pedal would get really soft and had little stopping power.

Nah, don't blame yourself, you are trying to help your friend and you're working on an older car, stuff like that happens all the time. GL
johnb16a2 is offline   Reply With Quote