View Single Post
Old 03-01-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
hoofan
AF Newbie

UPDATE: 1996 Jeep GC multiple misfires, hesitation and bucking (Tranny question)

Here is my original post and thread for a complete history, but I have a new twist.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=503585

I now have a new more serious question as I still try to figure out this ongoing "misfire" problem. I am beginning to think that the "misfire" code may actually be a "phantom" code because it happens so randomly and almost never occurs if I drive around town at or below 60 mph.

In the course of my troubleshooting, I discovered that my tranny fluid was really low. I followed my Haynes manual to be sure I was checking it correctly, read a lot of posts about low tranny fluid, possible symptoms and fixes and see that this "may" have been the cause of my current problem.

So, I decided to level it off and try to reproduce the "bucking" at 65 mph or higher that would eventually gave me a 43 "misfire" code on my digital odometer. Even if it didn't fix my current problem, levelling off the tranny fluid needed to be done regardless (The fluid did not smell burned and wasn't bright pink like new fluid, but it did have a pink tint to it).

Now, here's the problem.

I didn't look at my owner's manual before I added fluid and I added Dex-III. Now it seems that since it is not ATF +, that I have screwed up. I didn't stumble across this as incorrect until I read a little deeper on some tranny problem posts on here.

However, the good news is that when I levelled off the tranny fluid, the Jeep drove like a dream for about a day or so. But now I am getting "bucking" symptoms again (above 6mph and you can observe the TAC noticably "bouncing" around the 2000 mark before it "bucks"), but no CE light and 43 code yet. What I don't know is if this could be as a result of the Dex-III fluid not being the right fluid or still something else altogether.

What is puzzling to me is that the Jeep drove great after the intial fluid add, better than it has driven in weeks. Maybe I'm overthinking this and should just change the CPS again to a MOPAR part as I have stated in the earlier thread.

So, what do I do now? Changing the tranny fluid to ATF-4 (I'm guessing from what I've read would be the correct type) has to be cheaper than a new CPS. Should I have the bands adjusted too and give it a whirl to see if my problems go away?

REALLY need some help with this one if you can...

Thank you.

Bryan
hoofan is offline   Reply With Quote